5 Ways to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo that point to Jesus!
Talking with your kids about God is one of the most important things you can do! Use some of these ideas as you celebrate Cinco de Mayo today (or Mexican culture anyday!), and TACO 'bout Jesus! In all seriousness, nothing in the whole world is more important than Him, and we want you to KNOW Jesus, GROW in Him, and SHOW His love to the world!
Luke 10:27 [Jesus] answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
1. WATCH A MOVIE!
For any movie, as parents, grandparents, or guardians who come in all relations, you are the ones who are ultimately responsible for the kids God has put in your care. If you have questions about if a movie is appropraite for your kids or not, do your research, check out pluggedin.com, watch it ahead of time, pray about it, hunt in God's Word to see what He has to say about it, and do what you feel is right before the Lord. Whatever movies you choose to watch with your kids, watch them with your kids intentionally and ask questions after. Any conversation that points to Jesus is a great one!
- Coco - Available on Disney+.
Fun Conversation Starters that point to Jesus!
- What really happens when you die?
John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life.Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,”
John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears My [Jesus’] word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Miguel disobeyed his parents. Was it okay to do that? What does the Bible say about how you should treat your parents? Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
- Dante, Miguel’s dog, was a good, loyal friend…a little crazy, but good. Do you have any good friends? What makes them good? Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times. Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you. Proverbs 13:20 Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. What makes someone a bad friend? 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.” Proverbs 22:24-25 Do not make friends with a hot-tempered person, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn their ways and get yourself ensnared. Do you have any bad friends? If you do, pray for them, and consider not being friends with them anymore or helping them be a better friend.
- What really happens when you die?
- McFarland USA - https://www.pluggedin.com/movie-reviews/mcfarland-usa/
2. MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
ENCOURAGE OUR MISSIONARIES ROD and MAYRA FRY
Rod and Mayra Fry, along with their kids Daniel, Catherine and David, are committed to see vibrant, Biblical, reproducing churches in and near the Mexico City metro area. Their primary passion is church planting through personal evangelism, community center activities and home Bible studies.
- Pray for them!
- Read an update https://mexicomatters.org/
- Send them a note of thanks https://www.valleybible.org/index.cfm/pageid/710/index.html#missionsnote
- Give to their ministry: You can support them financially by giving to Valley Bible Church and designating it under missions, or on their website https://mexicomatters.org/
Mark 16:15 [Jesus] said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.”
3. HAVE A FOODIE FIESTA
- TACO TUESDAY! – Since Cinco de Mayo is on Tuesday, how could we not?! Just make sure as you enjoy them, you TACO ‘bout Jesus!
1 Corinthians 10:31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
- SWEET TREATS:
Flan - https://camarillo.macaronikid.com/articles/58264e4f24d8f4da3aae68e3/macaroni-menu-celebrate-cinco-de-mayo-with-flan
Psalm 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
What Bible verses are sweet to you?
Pan Dulce(Sweet Bread) - https://www.sharingblessings.com/pan-dulce-mexican-sweet-bread-made-by-the-kids/
Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
- Other kid-friendly recipes - https://www.familyeducation.com/food/6-kid-friendly-cinco-de-mayo-recipes
4. DO A MEXICAN ART PROJECT
- Aztec Sundial (paper plate, crayons or markers, popsicle stick or straight object) https://www.education.com/activity/article/aztec-sundial/
Sundials were used to tell time. Did you know they used sundials in the Bible too? Read this story about when the time was turned back and the sundial when back 10 steps! Find out why. Isaiah 38:1-7
- Repujado Mexican Cuff Bracelet (toilet paper roll, foil pan or foil, decoration (markers or beans, etc.) http://spanglishbaby.com/finds/hispanic-heritage-month-craft-repajado-mexican-cuff-bracelet/
1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
- Maracas (easter egg, plastic spoons, popcorn kernels, tape, markers) https://www.madeeveryday.com/tutorial-easter-egg-maracas-for-cinco-de-mayo/ Psalm 150 Praise the Lord!…praise Him in His mighty heavens!Praise Him for His mighty deeds;praise Him according to His excellent greatness!...Praise Him with tambourine and dance;…Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
- Yarn Paintings (yarn, solid surface, glue) https://theartgardenblog.com/2017/05/05/yarn-paintings/
Did you know there were artisans in the Bible? Lots of them! Check out this verse about skilled women who made yarn and fabrics for the temple! Exodus 35:25 Every skilled woman spun with her hands and brought what she had spun—blue, purple or scarlet yarn or fine linen.
- Pinatas, Pottery, Paper craft and more
Ecclesiastes 9:10a Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.
1 Peter 4:10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
5. DISCOVER MEXICO FROM YOUR LIVING ROOM!
- Explore the History of Cinco de Mayo https://www.britannica.com/topic/Cinco-de-Mayo
The Bible is made up of all types of books: psalms, wisdom, prophecy, law, history…but it’s not just ancient History, it’s OUR History…It’s HIS story - God’s story and His plan for us.
John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.
Romans 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
Psalm 78:4 We will not hide them from their descendants; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done.
- Take a Virtual Tour of Mexico City
Did you know God is with you wherever you go?
Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Matthew 28:19-20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations… teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
- Listen to the VBC Kids Worship songs you know in Spanish!
Psalm 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord.