At VBC Kids we believe children are a gift from the Lord (Psalm 127:3a), and spending time with them is amazing! ...Ok, let’s be honest. If you chuckled a little when I said amazing, here are some Activity Ideas, Conversation Starters, and Adventure Ideas to help your time together be awesome! (or at least intentional and memorable!)
Psalm 78:4, “We will not hide them from their descendants; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done."
HOLIDAYS & SPECIAL DAYS
Take a flashlight and go with your little into a partially darkened space. If they're brave you can turn the lights all the way off! Do these fun learning activities and read the Bible verses that go along with them!
- Show the difference when it’s dark, and when the light/flashlight is on. Read this verse. “Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world.“ John 8:12a How is Jesus the Light?
- Play “follow the leader” with the flashlight, or move the beam across the floor to make a path to follow. Read this verse and talk about it! “Whoever follows Me [Jesus] will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12b
- Make shadow puppets. "This is the message we have heard from Him [Jesus] and declare to you: God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all." 1 John 1:5 What is good about that?
- Look at the night sky and check out these amazing verses. Which is your favorite?
(Ps. 19:1, Daniel 12:3, Ps. 8:3-4, Ps. 147:4)
In John chapter 3 in the Bible, Nicodemus wanted to learn about the “Light” (Jesus), and John the Baptist was telling others about Him. What did you learn today?
Who is “the Light”? What does the light do?
PRAISE ROCKS (a rock & paint)
Paint or decorate a rock. Add eyes for fun!
Read the verses below.
“Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation!” – Psalm 95:1
“As He [Jesus] was drawing near—already on the way down the Mount of Olives—the whole multitude of His disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, saying, ‘Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!’ And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Him, ‘Teacher, rebuke your disciples.’ He answered, ‘I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.’” – Luke 19:37-40
If your rock could cry out, what words do you think it would use to praise God? Write a word or phrase on the back of the rock praising God. Put it somewhere to remind you to praise God so the rocks don’t cry out in your place!
DRAWING SHADOWS (chalk)
Trace your child’s shadow with chalk outside.
Read and talk about James 1:17.
James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
CHALK CREATION (chalk)
Draw something God created (made).
After you’re done, point to each drawing and ask them about it making sure they know God made it!
SAY: God made everything.
SAY: God made ____________ .
ASK: Who made ____________ ?
Ask them what else God made.
SAY: God made you!
Thank God for all He’s made!
“God saw all that He had made, and it was very good.” Genesis 1:31a
Grab your eyeballs and head outdoors. You can take a magnifying glass too if you have one! We're going to explore!
Help your little find each of these things God created, then get down and take a close look at them. As they complete each mission, read the Bible verse that goes along with it.
- FIND 10 ANTS.
Read Proverbs 6:6-8. “Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise. It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.” How is the ant wise/smart? How can we be wise right now?
- FIND 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF WEEDS.
What makes them different?
Why do we have weeds?
Read Genesis 3:17-18. To Adam He [God] said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’ “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life. It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.
- FIND A BIRD. DO WHAT IT'S DOING!
Read Luke 12:24. “Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!”
How has God provided for you?
- LOOK AT THE SKY. FIND A CLOUD.
Read Psalm 19:1. “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.”
How does the sky “declare” God’s glory?
- GET DUST ON YOUR FINGER.
Read Genesis 2:7 “Then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.”
Read Psalm 103:13-14 “As a father shows compassion to His children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust.” God made humans from dust!
What can you make from dust?
Grab a balloon and see what fun you can have as a family!
Warning: Please be careful to supervise your children and blow the balloon up for them as balloons can be choking hazards.
KEEPY UPPY (Watch Bluey Season 1, episode 3 on Disney+ or Youtube) You can also play the Bluey Keepy Uppy game online!
With your family or by yourself, try to keep the balloon up in the air as long as possible. You can add a challenge by using no hands, one finger only, paper plates, turning the fan on, etc. You can also set up a midline and play balloon tennis. For an extra hard challenge play music and when it stops, you have to freeze! Don’t let it hit the floor!
TALK ABOUT IT: How hard was it to keep it up? How hard is it to keep doing a good thing especially during the stay-at-home time? Make a list of the good things that are important for you do and pray and ask God to help you continue to do those things even if it looks a little different. Hebrews 6:10 God is not unjust; He will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him as you have helped His people and continue to help them. Galatians 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Grab some markers and stickers and decorate the balloon by adding a face. You may even want to create little paper feet and hands to stick on, but be gentle! Once your new friend is all done, tell it your favorite thing about God or a God-sighting you had lately.
THINK ABOUT IT: It may be weird to talk to a balloon, but it also might feel strange to talk to God sometimes because you can’t see Him.
1 Peter 1:8 Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy
1 John 5:14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
Psalm 34:18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Hebrews 13:5b “God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
DO IT: With these verses in mind, talk to God right now or write Him a letter.
Tell Him what’s on your mind.
Add a bit of science to your balloon play. Get a light ball such as a ping pong ball or similar light rolling toy. Have it sitting on a smooth flat surface, blow up the balloon, then release the air, using it to propel the ball or toy. Build a lego car around it, and use it to propel your car. You can even use a timer and race different toys!
THINK ABOUT IT: How is the air in the balloon like or unlike God? What do you think of these verses?
Philippians 4:19 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Romans 8:11 The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you.
Isaiah 40:29 He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.
For some messy, sensory fun, get out the kid-friendly paints and some sheets of paper. Blow up your balloon and use them to create a painting, dipping the balloons in the paint and using them to make circular shapes in different colors.
THINK ABOUT IT: How did your artwork turn out? God makes pretty amazing things too. God made you!
Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
TELL SOMEONE: How does it make you feel knowing God made you?
DO IT: Go look outside and see what other amazing things He made that you can thank Him for!
Write random words all over your balloon. (You can throw in some of your favorites like Disneyland rides or food) Sit in a circle or across from each other and toss the balloon. As you catch the balloon, wherever your thumb lands is your word. Say something about that word or tell a story about whatever word it is. Variation: Wherever your thumb lands, use it to tell the first part of a made up story and keep tossing it around. Whoever catches it tells the next part of the story.
THINK ABOUT IT: Storytelling is fun. Did you know the Bible has incredible stories that are all true?!
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation.
TELL SOMEONE: What story is your favorite Bible story?
DO IT: Try to find a story in the Bible you don’t know.
Ehud – Judges 3:12-30 (older boys love this one)
Abigail – 1 Samuel 25:1-35 (very wise woman)
Find other balloon activity ideas online at https://playtivities.com/balloon-games/
Make memories by doing something out of the ordinary tonight. Be sure to take pictures and watch for God!
- Game Time - Play a Card Game, do a puzzle together, or dig an old board game out of the closet.
- Picnic Party - Have an indoor picnic on the floor and thank God for the food He’s provided. Pray for those around the world who don’t have any today. Read John 6:35 & Matthew 6:25-34
- TV Time - Watch a TV show together, and have someone read a Bible verse each commercial break. Try to find a question each segment that brings up God or points to Jesus? (i.e. Did you see the sky in that shot? God makes beautiful sunsets! Or What do you think about how he treated his parents? What does God say about that? –Ephesians 6:1-2)
- Kid Chefs - Let the kids make dinner or dessert. Find verses about food and thank God for it! (Psalm 145:15-16)
- Family Movie Night! – Pop some popcorn and enjoy a movie together. But before you do, try a popcorn prayer and let each person go around and in one sentence thank God for something, tell Him I love you because…, and then ask Him for something that’s on your heart. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- Hide and Seek – Hide Bible verse references all over the house. As kids find them, seek them out in the Bible, have kids write down their favorites, and put them up in their room or the bathroom…somewhere that will encourage them this week. (You know your kids, so find verses you think will encourage them)
- Dance Party!!! Put on songs you can dance to together! Here's some of the music we sing at Kids Church. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIlweo9SxziGxoi16kE4HEQ
14 Fun Things you can do with your kids so they know they are loved!
- Have a hot chocolate date.
- Cut "You are Loved" out of construction paper and hang it outside their room.
- Make a fun snack together. Try this recipe for white chocolate popcorn! Yummm!!!
- Give them a fun Valentine's Day Card that points them to Jesus!
- Make them heart-shaped pancakes, sandwiches, quesadillas, pizza, or special treats!
- Give them a small meaningful gift
- Tell them what you admire about them. (Take some post-its, cut them in heart shapes, and put them somewhere they'll see. For example: You make us laugh. You stick up for others, You are a hard worker. You give great hugs. You're brave and never give up. You help out around the house...)
- Read a love-themed book or bible verses about love. Put one up in his/her room to be reminded of God's love throughout the week.
- Take pictures together and tell them wonderful things about how God made them.
- Have a Jesus Loves You Dance Party!
- Buy them flowers or pick wildflowers.
- Dress matchy-matchy with them. "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
- Eat Red snacks.
- Take a walk or go for a drive together and tell them how much you love them as you appreciate God's creation together.